Pinterest isn’t applicable to what you do and you can’t seem to get much interaction in the roomful of simultaneously shouting people called Twitter, but Facebook is different. You have meaningful interactions on your Facebook page, the people who head to your website from there stay for a long time, and the Likers continue to add up.
What if I were to tell you things have changed?
In a hugely successful article entitled “Facebook: I Want My Friends Back”, Dangerous Minds examined the puzzling recent page addition Facebook calls Promoted Posts.
It’s a very interesting and sometimes scathing article that compares Facebook page statistics before and after Promoted Posts went live. It also points out that, coincidentally, Promoted Posts were introduced at just about the same time the Facebook IPO underwhelmed, leaving the social media giant looking for new sources of revenue.
The story cites owners of Facebook pages who rely on their page traffic to thrive and have seen their businesses floundering if not flat-out failing since Promoted Posts were introduced in Spring of 2012.
Read the full Dangerous Minds article for all the info, but in summation, your Facebook messages now reach roughly 15% of your total audience. And to decide how much of the remaining 85% you want to reach, you first have to decide how much you’re willing to spend to promote your post.
There’s plenty of outrage about this new development, but what infuriates us at DC Interactive the most is this: Facebook is using an antiquated, impression-based model to fuel Promoted Posts. That is a turn-of-the-century, greedy business tactic that favors revenue over loyal users.
So what’s the solution? Many people are saying “I’m going to find a new Facebook,” but frankly, there isn’t one. It’s the most influential and powerful social media site, still a must-have for every business.
The solution then becomes a strategy of not putting all of the company eggs into the Facebook basket. The businesses being hurt the most by Promoted Posts are the ones who don’t have the ability or the time to take advantage of other ways to target their audience.
DC Interactive Group is a full-service interactive agency. We understand how important it is to put time and effort into a beautiful website, a great blog, Pay-Per-Click advertising, remarketing, email marketing, SEO, mobile apps and marketing, and even alternative sources.
If your Facebook traffic has been frustrating you, contact us here. We’ll get a conversation started with you about what you need.